Getting regular oral examinations in Livonia is a critical part of preventative oral health care. During a dental exam, our dental team will clean your teeth and examine you for signs of oral disease. Read on to learn what to expect when you visit our team in Majestic Dentistry for oral examinations near you.
The Importance of Oral Exams
Visiting the dentist at least once every six months for an oral exam is important for your oral and overall health. For example, signs of some systemic diseases such as diabetes, lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis may appear in the mouth.
These appointments also provide the opportunity for our dentist in Livonia to provide you with tips and tricks for caring for your oral health and for them to detect any oral health issues early on, when they can still be easily treated.
What Happens During an Oral Exam?
During your exam, you can expect the following things to occur:
- Dental x-rays– a dental x-ray allows our dentist to see specific areas of your mouth in detail to help diagnose issues that are not visible to the naked eye. You won’t need an x-ray at every visit, but our dentist will discuss the need for x-rays depending on your oral health status and risk of disease.
- Oral cancer screening– during your exam, our dentist will examine you for signs of oral cancer. They will feel the area under your chin, the sides of your neck, the insides of your lips and cheeks, and the sides of your tongue, as well as the floor and roof of your mouth. Our dentist near you has the skill and tools to ensure that early signs of oral cancer are identified and addressed before they have the chance to spread. Like any cancer, oral cancer has the best chance of successful treatment when caught early.
- Dental cleaning– getting a professional dental cleaning at least once every six months has been proven to improve oral health. The dental expert performing your cleaning will remove plaque and tartar that have accumulated on the teeth and gums.
- Intake of your medical history– our dentist will ask you a few questions about your current health status, medications, and recent hospitalizations to ensure that they can provide you with the best treatment plan possible.
- Education– after cleaning and checking your mouth for abnormalities, our dentist will treat you and spend time communicating their findings and recommendations. They will also advise you on how to take care of your teeth to avoid future oral health problems.
How Often Should You Visit the Dentist?
Even if you take good care of your gums and teeth at home, you still need to see a dentist regularly. At Majestic Dentistry, our dentist can examine you for problems with your oral health and provide early treatment. It is generally recommended that you visit a dentist at least once every six months.
Visit Majestic Dentistry
If you would like to book your oral exam, please do not hesitate to contact our dedicated team of dental professionals at Majestic Dentistry. We are happy to provide you with high-quality, comprehensive dental care to ensure that you maintain optimal oral health for a lifetime.