If you have a young child, you should be looking for an excellent pediatric dentist in Livonia to address all their dental needs. A pediatric dentist specializes in the growth, development, and health of children’s teeth, gums, and jaws. Pediatric dentists focus on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of conditions of the oral cavity. At Majestic Dentistry, the overall goal of our pediatric dentist is to help our young patients maintain optimal oral health and establish lifelong, healthy dental habits.
What is the Main Role of a Pediatric Dentist?
A pediatric dentist mainly:
- Educates young patients about dental diseases and conditions, good oral hygiene practices, and oral disease prevention
- Evaluates the dental and medical history of patients
- Orders and reads imaging and laboratory tests
- Diagnoses and treats oral conditions based on evaluations
- Works closely with other dental specialists and medical doctors to ensure comprehensive care
When Should Your Child See a Pediatric Dentist?
All children and young teenagers should visit a pediatric dentist on a regular basis. Regular pediatric care is the most effective way to prevent gum disease, cavities, and other oral health issues.
You should schedule an appointment with a pediatric dentist near you as soon as your child reaches the age of one or as soon as their first tooth erupts, whichever occurs first. A routine pediatric dental visit includes cleaning and exam, which should occur once every six months.
In addition to routine cleanings and exams, you should visit your dentist in Livonia if your child has any of the following:
- Dry mouth or bad breath
- Changes to their lips, tongue, gums, or teeth
- Delayed tooth loss or growth
- Bleeding gums
- Tooth sensitivity
- Pain or swelling in or around the oral cavity
- New diagnosis of medical conditions that increase risk of dental problems, such as diabetes
What Procedures Can a Pediatric Dentist Perform?
Similar to a general dentist near you, a pediatric dentist can perform a variety of procedures and treatments, such as:
- Dental hygiene and preventive treatments: including fluoride treatments, cleanings, deep cleanings, and dental sealants
- Surgical procedures: such as tooth extractions, dental implants, tissue and gum grafts
- Restorative dentistry treatments: including dental fillings, dental crowns, and root canal therapy
- Oral appliance fittings: including custom mouth guards, TMJ appliances, and space maintainers
What Certifications and Training Do Pediatric Dentists Have?
A pediatric dentist has to go through extensive training and schooling to be certified to properly and effectively diagnose and treat your child’s oral health conditions. In addition to at least three years of undergraduate education and four years of dental school, pediatric dentists also have to complete 2 to 3 years of specialized training.
To maintain their certification, pediatric dentists also have to complete 15 hours of continuing education each year and participate in an annual review of their professional standing and clinical performance.
So, rest assured that when you take your child to visit a pediatric dentist, they are in very experienced, qualified, and capable hands.
Visit Majestic Dentistry
If you would like to take your child to see a pediatric dentist for a checkup and cleaning, please get in touch with our team of dedicated dental professionals at Majestic Dentistry. We are happy to get you, and your child booked in for an appointment and ensure that your child is set on a path for lifelong optimal oral health!