Root Canal Treatment Near You
Root canal therapy saves a tooth whose pulp is infected or inflamed. During root canal therapy the pulp, nerves, bacteria, and decay are removed and the resulting space is filled with a natural rubber-like material called guttapercha to restore the tooth.
A root canal in Livonia saves a tooth that otherwise would die or require extraction. Some patients believe that removing an affected tooth is an effective solution, however, tooth extractions are costly and can cause several future complications. Overall, root canal treatment near you is extremely successful and many root canal-treated teeth last a lifetime.
Signs and Symptoms That May Require Root Canal Treatment in Livonia
- An abscess on the gums
- Tooth sensitivity to hot or cold
- Persistent tooth pain
- Cracked or chipped tooth
- Swelling and tenderness of the gums
- Dark discoloration of the tooth
Reasons for Root Canal Therapy in Livonia
- There is deep decay that has reached the tooth pulp
- An infection or abscess has developed inside the tooth or at the root tip
- There is injury or trauma to the tooth
- To prevent wisdom teeth extraction in Livonia
What Does Root Canal Therapy Involve?
Root canal therapy near you is carried out by a dentist or endodontist over two or more appointments. Patients may fear root canal therapy because they assume it is painful, however, this procedure is no more painful than receiving a dental filling. Root canal therapy in Livonia, MI 48152 consists of the following steps:
- X-rays: The dentist will take X-rays to determine where the decay is located if they suspect root canal therapy is necessary.
- Anesthesia: The dentist will administer local anesthesia to the affected tooth.
- Pulpectomy: The dentist will place a rubber dam around the tooth to isolate it and keep it free from saliva. An access opening is made on top of the tooth and the diseased pulp is removed using a series of endodontic files. If tooth decay is found, it will also be removed with special dental instruments.
- Filling: Once the tooth is thoroughly cleaned, the dentist will seal it using a temporary or permanent filling. If a temporary filling is placed first, additional appointments will be needed. At the next appointment, the roots and the inside of the cavity are filled and sealed. The filling covers the opening on top of the tooth.
The patient may also require a crown to reduce the risk of fracture and increase protection.
The dentist will provide the patient with all post-operative care instructions. After treatment, the tooth may be sensitive, due to inflammation however this will subside as the tooth heals.
Are you interested in root canal treatment in Livonia, MI 48152? Contact our dental office today to schedule your appointment for root canal therapy near you.